Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Who Wins, John?

I wrote him haikus
And still John did not notice
All he does is scold

I'll take the Facebook admission, though.

Brandon, I loved Ghost Writer! Maybe I just never got around to writing about it because it was after the discussion was long past.

Your point about Midnight In Paris is well taken. The main reason I loved it is because it was charming. There was a little lesson in there about being grateful for what you have, but it was secondary to the film's primary appeal for me.

I'll be honest, part of what keeps me from writing more is that I'm not often able to get to the theater in time to participate in a major discussion. By the time I do get around to watching, the club has moved on. I loved loved loved Black Swan and would love to talk more about it, but there was no response to my post about it, even though I was a good boy and read what everyone wrote beforehand. Same with Meek's Cutoff. A few nods, but I was too late for the discussion. I'm not complaining, just explaining. What makes posting so worthwhile to me is the feedback. And when I write three posts in a row with little response, I find myself drifting to other things. I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a little discouraging. And I can't help but feel jealous about all of you being close enough to watch movies together in person, especially when you tantalized me by saying you'd come up and watch a film at the Dryden with me sometime. And no teasing allowed about this. There's a reason I'm a children's librarian; I like to know how I'm doing and how people like what I'm doing.

I'm talking to you here primarily, John, because you got me into this just like you did Brandon. I'm your Frankenstein monster, and if you don't keep me chained in your laboratory, I'm going to go read some comics.

No comments:

Post a Comment