Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Overwhelmed but Not Quitting Yet

Adrienne's comment about ToL set off a flurry of activity and my head is still spinning!

Let's see if I can remember everything I want to say...

BRANDON, thanks for the response about Cold Weather. I don't think I was comparing them to try to say one was better than the other. I was mostly following suit after the other discussion (which, ironically, I still haven't read). I mean, I liked Cold Weather better, but I acknowledge what's good about Drive. That is to say I LOVED Cold Weather. I see what you're saying about the dark side of mc, but it's refreshing to me. I'll go along with Hollywood dialogue, but so much of it makes me roll my eyes. It's fascinating--nigh unto voyeuristic--to watch people interact with each other and talk to each other the way they do in real life. Katz's work in particular has really won me over, more so than the Duplasses'. I loved Cold Weather and Quiet City was one of the most peaceful and beautiful films I've seen. When my wife and I were dating, we used to talk about a "timeless placeless place" (it was from a Suzanne Vega song, I believe) we'd go to meet each other--not physically, but I think you know what I mean. A mental state. Quiet City captured that better than anything I've seen thus far. Have you seen it, Brandon? You should. Ben liked it, too, if I remember correctly. Also, I think you'd like The Way Back.

All that said, the trumpet scene in Hannah Takes the Stairs is oh so precious.

JEFF, I put extra work into that Woody Allen post hoping to catch your attention! I'm interested in our resident Woody expert's opinion on my assessment of Zelig.

JOHN, I also really liked Rise of Planet of the Apes. It surprised me. I almost wish it wasn't trying to tie itself in with the original because its faults largely had to do with areas I felt the plot was rushed or forced into trying to fit with an established continuity. I didn't mind seeing Malfoy get his comeuppance because I didn't think he got what he deserved in Harry Potter. Him or his slimy father, especially. The Plumber was a crazy, unusual film. I saw it at Houghton, so I'm probably overdue for another viewing. That and PAHR. Thinking more on it makes me sad that Hollywood stole Weir away. A lot of why he's my favorite has to do with his earlier, weirder stuff. And thanks for the carrot. You're not off the hook yet, though.

The truth of the matter, despite my initial reaction to Adrienne's Tree-bashing, is that ToL impacted me on such a deep level that criticism of it doesn't bother me. It speaks to you or it doesn't. You're enlightened or you're not. What else can I say?

No comments:

Post a Comment