Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Straight from Flixster

Where you all read it already anyway, but that doesn't count. so here's a lazy repost, with a few additional comments. Bonus features for the blog edition, I suppose.

Chiller (Wes Craven, 1985): This was pretty boring, actually. The most horrific act that the villain does in the first 45 minutes of the film is fire his employee in a really mean way. The main thing I took away from the movie is that waking up from cryogenic sleep makes you a prick. I thought Wes Craven's influence would make it at least watchable, but I guess you can't win 'em all. This was apparently a made-for-TV movie, so I suppose Craven should get some leeway for having to work within those constraints. Still, the scene where the freezer-burned prick drags a priest whose gown has gotten caught in the car door down the road a ways and then turns around to run him over was pretty badass, but that's really the only good scene in the film.


Mountain of the Cannibal God (Sergio Martino, 1978): Some disturbing stuff here, but I thought that my first cannibal-themed horror film would be more shocking. Not that I'm complaining. It was entertaining enough, and as one reviewer noted, more like a National Geographic special for at least the first half of the film. As far as B-movie horror goes, though, the Italians definitely knew how to do it best. The most difficult stuff is the animal-on-animal violence, which is pretty clearly real and which some of my research indicated was staged for the film. No humane society approval needed here, apparently. 

It's still probably better than Milo and Otis's Island of Terror, though: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adventures_of_Milo_and_Otis#Animal_cruelty_allegations

No comments:

Post a Comment