Saturday, June 16, 2012

In Defense of Following

It's funny, isn't it, that the thing that draws me to the film is the psychology of the main character, while that is the very thing that others feel is lacking in the film. Adrienne says that I project my own ideas onto films, often seeing what isn't there. I can't deny that it happens; I consider myself to be a pretty empathetic person, so it's not typically difficult for me to put myself into a protagonist's shoes. I might be doing that here as well.

I'm thinking of the scene where the guy brings Cobb into his apartment and then watches helplessly and defensively while Cobb pretty much invalidates his whole existence. Insult is added to injury when we later find out that Cobb knew it was his apartment. That scene made me cringe; I felt bad for the guy and it seemed tragic to me that he got caught up in the whole scenario because, essentially, of his lack of social skills and discernment. The guy's not a bad guy, he got with the wrong crowd and didn't have the self-awareness to get himself out in time. He doesn't deserve to go to jail for someone else's crime. He's even barely responsible, in my opinion, for the murder he committed because he was so under Cobb's influence. He's not relatable perhaps because he's barely a person. But this is not necessarily because of poor character development; this is because that is his personailty. And there are people out there without personalities. And I feel sorry for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment