Sunday, April 8, 2012

Constipated

I'm really behind in my dumps. I finally caught up with my reading the other day, to the tune of thirty Film Club posts or so.
After reading about it from two or more FC members, I watched Cat People with my wife and son. I liked it! I kept wondering which scene was one of the creepiest Jeff had ever seen, but I couldn't identify it. It wasn't that scary, but there were some creepy scenes for sure. I liked how it didn't try to hard for fancy special effects but relied on story and insinuation for the thrills. It was effective. My wife liked it, and she can be tough to please sometimes. I liked the use of light and shadows; the scene with the street lights and then the one at the end that made use of the light table were especially nice.
I've seen a bunch of other films but am struggling to motivate myself to write. I found out that I very likely tore my ACL playing indoor soccer and will most likely need to have surgery. A surgery I had tree years ago for my right knee. Sigh. I have an MRI next week.
I have a bunch of stuff to say about Arrietty: I loved the film so much. In addition to the Disney dub, I watched a British dub and about 2/3 of the Japanese version. Disney adds a whole monologue to the end of their version, which is distasteful to me. Watch it in Japanese or British dub if you haven't seen it yet.
Japanese Story has beautiful scenery and a powerful and numbing scene where a woman struggles to get her lover's dead body into her jeep. It's raw and real and lasts several minutes. I've never seen anything like that in a film before.

For real, I've seen 4 Hitchcock films--Psycho, Vertigo, Rear Window, and North by Northwest. I loved them all and besides think it would be silly to rank 4 films. I will say the Rushmore finale in NBNW was jaw-dropping. I'd love to see more of Hitch's stuff. I don't know why I haven't yet.

I agree with most of what has been said about Broadway Danny Rose. I'll add that so far, it's the most sympathetic character Allen has played that I've seen. Wonderful lesson about forgiveness and success in there.

The Trial of Joan of Arc took me awhile to get into and it didn't help that I was so tired. It was very slow and the acting was very flat. But Joan's dedication to God under such duress really won me over, as well as the hypocrisy and injustice of the church. I think I'd Ref to see it again to really appreciate it.

Now I'm posting without proofing, so deal with my typos. Rock on!

No comments:

Post a Comment