Saturday, May 7, 2011

THOR

I enjoyed the film very much. I don't go into these superhero films with high expectations, usually. I'm not the sort to fawn over the latest trailer and read post-production notes on the internet about the next upcoming Marvel blockbuster. But I do tend to enjoy them and am rarely disappointed. Because Thor is tied up in Norse mythology as well, that part of the story (and it's a significant part) gives it a bit of an LOTR feel, which sets it apart from the other superhero movies. The Natalie Portman love interest portion of the story is boring and cliched, but whatever. It didn't interfere in the plot to much, so I didn't mind. It's fun to watch Thor's first exposure to Earth culture, and the supporting cast (Norse and Earthers alike) do great jobs and are fun to watch. Heimdall is one of my favorites, and I got a kick out of Hopkins's Odin. Even as I write about it, I find myself liking the film more. I was never a big comics Thor buff, so I didn't get too distracted by comics backstory in my head. Except for this: in the comics, Loki is Thor's half-brother. That's a pretty important part of his character, in my opinion. I won't say any more than that. This definitely ranks among Marvel's better entries. A good start to a blockbuster summer I'm looking forward to: Green Lantern, Captain America, X-Men First Class, Cowboys and Aliens. If Thor is a sign of things to come, it's going to be a lot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment